Bartolomeo Gastaldi Mountain Hut
Access
Introduction
Description
The first Gastaldi mountain hut was built by the Turin Section of the Italian Alpine Club (CAI) when mountaineering was taking its first steps in the mountains closest to the regional capital, namely in the Lanzo Valleys. It is dedicated to the former president of the Turin Section of the CAI, the geologist Bartolomeo Gastaldi.
The first building, erected in the hamlet of Crot del CiaussinĂ© â named after an old lime quarry â dates back to 1880 and consisted of a single room at the time. Over the following twenty years, it was extended several times; nevertheless, the small Rifugio Gastaldi proved insufficient to cope with the growing number of mountaineers visiting the area. The Turin Section of the Alpine Club therefore decided to build a new refuge-hotel, which was erected just a few metres away from the old refuge.
The new refuge was officially inaugurated on 2 September 1904, on the occasion of the 35th Congress of Italian Mountaineers organised by the Turin Section and held in the Val dâAla. The event was attended by 160 mountaineers from all regions of Italy and forty-five guides, half of whom were from the valley and half summoned from Courmayeur. The facilities offered by the refuge in those years were those of a true luxury hotel with every comfort, including running hot water, radiators and champagne.
Unfortunately, after just four years, the new hotel-refuge was destroyed by a fire caused by the carelessness of some guests. Rebuilt exactly as before, it was reopened two years later and extended in 1930.
During the Resistance, it served as a base for the partisans and, during the clashes with Nazi forces in October 1944, it was set alight and destroyed. Thus, although severely damaged, the now dilapidated old refuge resumed its irreplaceable role, managed by the legendary guide Giuseppe Ferro Famil, known as âVulpĂČtâ. This period lasted until 26 July 1970, the day of the inauguration of the rebuilt New Refuge, which, thanks to numerous technological innovations, continues its history to this day.
In 1983, part of the Old Refuge was transformed into a permanent exhibition, linked to the National Mountain Museum in Turin and dedicated to the history of Piedmontese mountaineering, which spans over a century.
(information taken from the refugeâs website)
Access
- from Pian della Mussa (2h30')
Routes from the refuge
- Col dâArnas
- Refuge de lâEvette
- Upper Chalanson Pass
- Cibrario Refuge
- Colle Altare
- Punta Maria
- Punta d'Arnas
- Punta Adami
- Albaron di Savoia
- Punta Chalanson
- Uja di Ciamarella
- Piccola Ciamarella
Information
Altitude: 2,659 m
Location: CrĂČt del CiaussinĂ© cirque
Ownership: CAI Turin branch
Manager: Roberto Chiosso
Sleeping capacity: 109
Winter lounge capacity: 10
Lighting: electric
Wi-Fi: available
Device charging: not available
Water: in the refuge
Refuge guest book: available
Contact details
Opening period: from April to mid-September
Telephone: +39 (0)123-50.50.08
Mobile: +39 348-711.91.54
Website: : www.rifugiogastaldi.com
email: info@rifugiogastaldi.com